Reading Fair Projects- Pt.2

After the wonderful reading fair we had at the school 2 weeks ago, the district reading fair was this past Friday and…WOW!  I was so amazed by the creative story boards these kids came up with.  I am SO glad I did not have to judge this one because it was tough.  They were ALL so great!  I thought I’d post a few more pics and will probably save the rest for later on in the week.  I took a ton of pictures at this reading fair….be warned!  Ha!

2012_0127fairreading0006

2012_0127fairreading0007

This Franny K. Stein project won in the 4th and 5th grade division.  I wish you could see the detail that went into this robot and the rest of the props with it.  It was the most incredible reading fair project I had ever seen!

2012_0127fairreading0009

2012_0127fairreading0012

Freckle Juice won the third grade division, and rightly so…super cute and you can tell they worked hard on this one.

2012_0127fairreading0017

I think Chocolate Fever placed second in the 3rd grade division.  Do you see what I mean when I say it was a tough decision?

2012_0127fairreading0027

The Giving Tree project won the K-3 Family Division.  I thought it was pretty great, too.

2012_0127fairreading0039

Pinkalicious is one of my favorite children’s books, so I was thrilled to see this project!

2012_0127fairreading0003

These projects were all on the elementary level.  I had 5 students from my school participate and they all took third place.  I was still so proud of them considering the tough competition they were up against.  It gave them some great ideas and inspiration for next year.

(I’m often asked exactly HOW we hold our book fair at school. For more details please see this post.)

Comments

1. says

Oh, those are so cool! I guess I’ll be helping The Diva with her project soon enough. It will be fun for me because when I was in elementary school, we didn’t do any of that. No science fair, no dioramas — none of that. However, my husband did at his school — which was in the same school district. I guess my school got screwed. LOL
    Shan @ Last Shreds Of Sanity recently posted..Stop SOPA, PIPA And Repeal SB 1867: Save Our Personal Freedoms And Constitutional Rights

• Erin says

I thought the exact same thing. While fairs like this are great in theory, it seems like the parents always end up taking over the best ones. It’s so obvious that kids didn’t make some of these without a ton of help/creative parent ideas. Which really isn’t fair to the kids that DID do it all on their own. Happened to me in 7th grade at a science fair. The kid with the engineer dad made this amazing contraption and he won 1st place. My project, which I made by myself, looked like nothing next to that.

• AliceK says

I appreciated my son’s teacher this year as NOTHING came home to do with any projects. Yep, his all looked like a kid did them but so did every other student’s project. He did it all w/o any parent intervention, so all learning and effort was his alone. Evens the playing field for those kids who do not have supportive parents.

2. Leslie says

These are really great for common core. Is there a rubric that goes along with this project? How about an I story tigon sheet?

3. says

I am so glad I came across this on Pinterest. I absolutely love it, and I hope to do this at my school as a parental involvement activity. Thank you very much for sharing. The displays are amazing!

4. Lisa Hariton says

I also would love to have the Rubric or Directions for this Project. I noticed there were two papers which accompanied each wonderful project. What a GREAT idea! Thanks for sharing.

5. charlotte says

Would love to get the rubric that went along with these projects. I think I see one in all of the pictures! Great projects!!! Think I might get my third graders to do this in groups. :)

6. Sabrina Secrest says

This is such an awesome idea! Thanks for sharing. I really want to do this with my sixth graders this year!

7. Ame says

It would’ve been nice to see some winners that were authentically done exclusively by the hands of a child. While cute and great as family projects, the adult influence is too, too apparent in these examples.

• says

I agree with you. When we did the fair at our school, there were many projects that you could tell had no parental help. The photos from this post are from our district fair (many schools together), so this is what won at the individual schools and what was there when I took the pictures. I am proud of these students for working with their families anyway, though.

8. Lorena says

AWESOME IDEAS!! I would appreciate if you could email me a copy of the scoring sheet that goes along with these projects. Thanks in advance.

Trackbacks